By now, most of the first years not only know the name of their roommate, but have spoken with her. I know it can be exciting and sometimes a little stressful to learn to live with a roommate for the first time. I can assure you that a lot of time and care went into the process of pairing roommates this summer. We hope that students will spend time getting to know each other and we are sharing a list of suggested discussion topics to assist you with this process.
Roommate Discussion Topics
1. Do you come from a large or small family? How close are you with your family?
2. Have either of you had a roommate before? If so, what was that experience like?
3. What are some of your habits that make you each unique?
4. What are some behaviors that annoy each of you?
5. Are you early or late night people? What is your agreed definition of “early” and “late”?
6. Are you each fairly quiet or loud?
7. Bedtime etiquette: When your roommate(s) is/are trying to sleep, is it ok to:
Talk on the phone
Study with the lights on
Use the computer
8. What do you each do when you are upset or stressed?
9. How would you like to interact with each other when you are upset or stressed?
10. How do you each talk about difficult things that bother you?
11. How will you talk to each other when you do things that bother one another?
12. Where do you each envision doing most of your studying? (i.e. room, library, living room, etc.)
13. What times of day do you each usually study?
14. Do you each prefer complete quiet or background noise, like music/tv, when studying?
15. What type of environment can you NOT study in?
16. Are you a neat or messy person? Will it drive you crazy to live in someone else’s clutter? Is a messy desk and an unmade bed a problem?
17. Please describe how you will divide cleaning your shared space.
18. How much notice will you give each other (if you decide to do so) before an overnight guest comes to stay?
19. What is your agreement on sharing your “stuff”?
20. What items are you comfortable sharing with each other?
21. Does sharing with your roommate also give them permission to share that item with a friend that they trust?
22. From the topics covered in this agreement, what are some areas you each feel you may have significant differences?
23. Based on your conversation, is there anything else that should be discussed or documented?
24. When something comes up and your roommate or you do something different than what you agreed on, how will you handle the situation?